Main Course Salads: Antipasto Pasta Salad v.2

While ago at the supermarket check-out the other day, the cashier asked me a funny question.

"Would you prefer wholemeal or white?" she asked.

"Huh?" I replied with a puzzled look on my face.

"Wholemeal bread or white bread?" she kindly explained.

"Erm ... I will take wholemeal, thanks?" I replied uncertainly.

And that was when I saw a little promotional poster at the check-out counter that explained this little scene. You see, in return for not physically signing for your purchases, the supermarket would give you a free loaf of bread. Simply just tap your card on a little flat pad of equipment attached to the check-out machine to charge the payment and that loaf of bread is yours. Why not? Freebies are always welcomed.

So I ended up with a giant loaf of wholemeal bread, which I have no idea what to do, and it sat there with another two compatriot which Hubby picked up from a bakery. With just days before they end up with free inedible mushrooms, I knew I have to do something with it. And they all eneded up as the base for our little pizza party.

After the party ended, I had lots of pizza ingredients leftover. And this was how one thing led to another.

So the leftover olives, artichoke hearts, some sort of thinly shave Spanish ham, lots of cheese, spears of asparagus and cherry tomatoes all went into slumber in my fridge. Now have a bunch of ingredients to take care of instead of just a single loaf of wholemeal bread. Does the process make any sense to you? Don't worry, I am still figuring that out.

Anyway, I was busy watching my Korean drama (Dong Yi, if you must know) marathon yesterday afternoon and when I had to good sense to come back to reality, the sky had darkened outside and my clock showed 8.15pm. What??!!

I rushed into the kitchen and raided the fridge.

Boil, boil, boil ... (the asparagus and pasta)

Chop, chop, chop ... (the olives, artichoke hearts, cilantro and tomatoes)

Whisk, whisk, whisk ... (the salad dressing)

And I was done.

20130827_194731

The front door opened, and Hubby walked in just in time. I am very certain he installed some secret viewcam somewhere to know exactly when dinner will be done. He can't be that lucky all the time to miss dinner prep.

I had used my favourite dressing for this pasta salad, but I think I would want to try out an Italian dressing the next time around. Antipasto is an Italian thing, so doesn't that make more sense in this salad?

Quick and easy dinner with minimal cleaning up to do.

20130827_205032

Now I wish I have a plate of that in front of me.

Comments