Cheez-it-ish Crackers

These days I can be heard saying that after walking this earth for a third of a century, I have had enough sugar to last me for a lifetime.

In the past, …

Whole chocolate bars? … No sweat.

A tub of ice-cream with syrup and sprinkles? … Barely satisfying.

Dressed up cakes? … Piece of cake!

Candies? … Don’t let me near them.

If I had known earlier that how people in the west celebrate Halloween, I would have convinced my mom that she ought to put us all, or at least me, on a packet heading there.

Then recently, I was watching Wreck It Ralph with my princess and I thought to myself, I would have loved to be in such a land during my youthful days. But as years go pass, I found myself turning away from sugar land. Sugary bites which were once my main reason to live, have totally lost their appeal. I even skipped the dessert section in a buffet often.

These days I seldom pick up baking books any more. Most books feature sweet bake goods prominently on their cover and/or their content. Then, almost as if as an after-thought that the authors slipped in some savoury baked goods for the sake of … Completeness? Increased catchment?

However, interesting recipes do pop out of places which you least expect.

DSC_0714

This was the much talked about book back in 2010 which I found sitting in our library. I cannot believe my good luck. Either people have already tire of her French food, or that I was just plain stone age in terms of cookbook fad. Whichever it was, I was happy to lug it back home.

Going through my blog, I realised that I have never posted a single savoury biscuit/cookie here, unless you count that Savoury Gruyere Cheese with Thyme Granola.

DSC_0673

Then I spotted these from the book. Mine were definitely more … rustic looking. But don’t be put off by the looks of these buggers. They do pack a punch and the savoury cheesy smell coming out of the oven when it was baking … it was Mmmmm … You do know what I mean, don’t you?

DSC_0672

With this amount of cheese going into the cracker, how wrong can the recipe go?

DSC_0676

I sliced them thinly and laid them out on the oven to bake. They don’t spread, so it is okay to place them close by each other.

DSC_0716

These crackers are seriously cheesy and must be enjoyed in moderation. One a day is a good limit, I think. Maybe, two.

The next time when there is a craving for munchies, these would definitely come in handy.

Recipe can be found here.

Comments