Another Japanese dish. I didn't follow the cooking instructions at all but the dish turned out surprisingly ... good! Guess, I was either just lucky this time round or that the recipe is really robust enough for my messing around. (^.^)
I'll leave you with the proper instructions here. Enjoy!
=== Meat & Potato Stew ===
* 4 - 5 med size potatoes
* 250g - 300g beef
* 2 med size onions
* 1/2 med size carrots
* 12 green beans
* A pinch of salt
* 1 pkt of noodle konniyaku
* 800ml - 1000ml dashi stock
* 1.5 tbsp curry powder
* 2 tbsp cooking oil
* 4 tbsp sake
* 2 tbsp mirin
* 4 tbsp sugar
* 3 tbsp soy sauce
Mise en place:
1. Peel potatoes and cut into bite size. Soak in water to prevent discolouration. Set aside.
2. Combine the Sauce Ingredients.
3. Thinly slice the beef and set aside.
4. Thinly slice the onions and set aside.
5. Peel and chop carrots into bite size.
6. Top and tail the green beans and put it in a pot of boiling water for 3 - 4 mins. Drain and set aside.
7. Put noodle konniyaku into a pot of boiling water for 1 min and drain. Set aside.
1. Heat 1 tbsp of cooking oil in saucepan and add half of the potatoes and onions into the pan. Saute until the onions are soft. Add dashi stock.
2. Simmer for 8 - 10 mins until the potatoes are tender. Add Sauce Ingredients, curry powder, the remaining half of potatoes and onions, carrots, noodle konniyaku. Simmer for 15 - 20 mins.
3. In another saucepan, heat 1 tbsp cooking oil and saute the beef until it changes colour. Add to the simmering vegetables.
4. Stirring occasionaly, cook until the simmering liquid has decreased slightly. Add the par-boiled green beans and cook through.