Making of Okonomiyaki (Stuffed Pancakes)

I made the pancakes again this morning. Made a boo-boo in the begining but thank goodness the pancake was very accomodating. I added a little chicken granular to it to give the taste a boost it much needed.

Result: The pancake was so yummy that I didn't have to eat lunch!

There is a quick run down on how to make the pancakes ...

To make the batter: Combine 1 cup of plain flour, 1 cup of dashi or water, 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of chicken granular. Mix well to achieve a thick batter. Add one quarter of a medium size cabbage (thinly sliced) and chopped spring onions to the mixing bowl. Add one lightly beaten egg.

Pour the batter into a hot and lightly oiled skillet. Hopefully it forms a nice circle. Just don't mind my shape, alright?


Flip the pancake when the bottom is lightly browned.


Drizzle lots of okonomiyaki sauce (available from supermarkets) and mayonnaise. You can do some artwork here if you fancy.


Or you can be like me, just drizzle blindly and then cover it all up with the katsuobushi.


This is just a basic recipe. The original recipe calls for thinly sliced beef and pork to be sautéed alongside the pancake and added to pancake prior to flipping over. But for me, I am happy with this meatless version for now.

Comments