Sour Cream or Yogurt Coffeecake


What is a coffeecake?

I had no idea. So I googled it.

Coffeecake: a cake or sweet bread usually served with coffee.

Oh ... okay ... .That was ... erm, enlightening.

Now, what is a teacake then?

Alright, that's another story for some other day. Today it is about coffeecake.



I found a small tub of sour cream sitting in my fridge. I find such surprises everyday in my fridge and wonder constantly who the smart alec was to stock the fridge with such stuff and conveniently forgot about it. Oh look! I found a round block of Provolone cheese, too!



Chucking the cheese back into the fridge, I looked at the tub of sour cream. Possibilites race through my mind. Nachos? Baked potatoes? Rosti?

Nah ... I was in a mood for something sweet. Which doesn't happen often these days.

Flipping through JOC, I stumbled upon this recipe. I love serendipity, don't you?

By the time I sat down to eat the cake, it was almost 10pm and it just didn't feel right to pump caffeine into the body at this time. So I had my coffeecake sans the coffee.

Soft, fluffy, light crumb with sweet, crunchy, aromatic streusel topping. As this is the first time I made a cake using sour cream and yogurt, I was pleasantly surprised that it turned out so well.

And yes, it is called a coffeecake cos I think it would have tasted even better with coffee.

Comments