筑前煮 - Chicken Stew with Root Vegetables


This is a really wonderful one pot dish. Lots of vegetables and a soothing broth that goes really well with rice. Great for lazy day cooking.

My version is not according to the recipe cos I used fresh shiitake mushrooms instead of dried one and also I threw in some beancurd puffs. Can't really see the chicken here cos it is stacked beneath. This is also my first time cooking with bamboo shoots. I am always wary of cooking with bamboo shoots cos I am afraid of the strong smell regardless of the amount used. But I am happy to say that the smell is really overpowering and it tasted quite well.

However, when I was cleaning the bamboo shoot, I noticed that there are some white solid bead-like particles in between the gaps in the middle of the bamboo short. It quite reminded me of chalk. I wonder what is it. Hmm....

Anyway, there are lots left over and I guess I will be having that for dinner again later. (*^.^*)

Merry Christmas to all my readers!

Comments