Animal Cookies

Usually Hubby is quite indulgent in most things that I do or want to do. But today, he drew the line at this.



What's wrong, you ask?

Cos he deems this as overly tedious and serves no purpose. But I beg to differ. The decorations do serve a purpose. They make me happy. And I am quite sure that our princess' friends and teachers were as well when she passed them around during the snack time.



Look that them and tell me that it doesn't bring a smile to your face.



Oh ... They don't?

I'm just going to pretend that I didn't hear you say that.



When I saw the cute Lion Cookies from Diamonds For Dessert, I thought they were ultra cute and that our little princess would like it. But when our princess saw them, she wanted me to bake some for her school on Valentine's Day! She said that she was wanted to bring something special for her special friend on Valentine's Day. I wasn't quite sure how to respond to that but I agreed.



After leaving school and getting married, I had forgotten what it was like on Valentine's Day. All the anticipation and guess work of whether some guy (hopefully the one you have your eyes on) will gather enough guts to come forward to ask you out for a date or maybe send a gift to you. Ahh ... puppy love. Those were the days.

Me: "I am making cookies for her (our princess) to bring to school on Valentine's Day."

Hubby: "Valentine's Day??!! Isn't it a bit too early for her to be concerned with Valentine's Day?"

Me: "Well, she must have heard it from her teachers maybe. Since she wants to give her friends something, I'll just bake something."

Hubby: "Bake something easy."

Me: "I had forgotten how much fun it was to celebrate Valentine's Day in school."

Hubby: "It is only the pretty girls who has all the fun."

Me: "You are saying that I am pretty?"

Hubby: "I'm logging off." We were on IM.


This was the first time I am making freeze-and-cut cookies and have no idea how to go about it. But I came away with a few notes. The weather here is just too hot to be making cookies. The butter in the cookies melt too fast and the dough becomes too soft to handle. I would hate to think how it would go for making pie crusts. The cling film is your best friend when making such cookies. You wrap the dough in it to freeze and you roll the dough in between the sheets. Also, I have concluded that I have no creativity and that I can't do anything decorative. It feels too painful even for me to try. But given that our princess loves the cookies, I think I will still use the recipe again but just not for cutting shapes. I've used the recipe from America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book Vanilla Ice Box Cookies.

Generally, I think I would give myself a pass since princess said her friends love it and that she had eaten 3 pieces herself. (^.^)

Happy Valentine's Day!

Comments

  1. i will animal face cookies.. :-) when can i have some? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be warned that the recipe calls for a whole big block of butter. Haha ... Pls place order in advance. (^.^)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment