Good Read: Walter The Baker



I swear I will never be sick of children's books which has a theme revolving around food. And from what I have Googled, it seems like there is not lack of books in such catagory. *Grin*

I stumbled across this book when I was standing around at the very rowdy children's book section of Kinokuniya (I really pity those overworked shop assistants who would have to pack up that section at the end of the day! I wouldn't wish it on anyone.) while our little princess was busy picking out a book for herself. I was getting impatient and started pulling out books and shoving them in front of her face.

Me: "How about this?"

She: "No."

Me: "How about this? It looks ... interesting." I didn't think I sound very convincing.

She: "No thanks."

Me: "How about this one? Looks ... exciting." Yeah, I am that pushy.

She: "Nope."

Me: "Look, we haven't got all day here ... " My eyes roaming back to the bookshelf to recommend another book.
Then I saw it. She saw it at the same time too. We both reached for it at the same time. A quick flip of the book. I knew that I must get this book. For myself. For my sanity. Half dragging our little princess, we made beeline for the cashier.

If you are familiar with The Very Hungry Caterpillar, you will know what to expect of the illustration style in this book. Vivid colours and interesting storyline. Walter the Baker is simple enough for our little princess to understand and after the story we had many nights of discussion about what bakers do while we sleep. She seems to be fascinated about nocturnal aspect of the job. We even followed up with a visit to some of the traditional bakeries around Singapore one night after witching hour.

Traditional bakeries we visited:
(1) Jie Bakery & Confectionery - 123 Upper Paya Lebar Road; Open 24 hours
(2) Ghee Leong/Sin Hon Loong Bakery - 4 Whampoa Drive

Comments