Chewy, Fudgy Triple Chocolate Brownie


When I saw the recipe of this brownie, what comes to mind is this slab of thick, cakey, dark coloured, handsome square of brownie which screams of chocolate in each and every bite. I knew I was sold. Nevermind it was already 11.35pm. Nevermind the fact that Monday is looming dangerously close. Nevermind that I woke up at 4.30 a.m. that morning. I need a slab of that chocolatey brownie!

I took the recipe from Baking Illustrated by the same people who write for Cook's Illustrated. The book is one of the best investments I have made. Maybe I am just a cookbook twit, but it sure makes a interesting read when I need a cooking-session fix but haven't the time/effort to do the actual stuff. The thing about cookbooks from US (which accounts for 95% of my library collection!) is that their measurement comes in cups, tablespoons, Fahrenheit and what-nots! It can be so frustrating as I need to do the conversions. So I ended up with Baking Illustrated on one hand and Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook in another so that I can refer to her metric conversion table! Duh!

Anyway, Baking Illustrated really delivers what it promised in its lengthy discussion notes prior to the recipe. My brownie was really really the thick, cakey, dark coloured, handsome square of brownie that really screams of chocolate in each and every bite when I sink my teeth into them!

Ahhh.... I am in chocolate heaven on wee hours of Easter Monday.

***********************************************
Chewy, Fudgy Triple Chocolate Brownies
(adapted from Baking Illustrated)
***********************************************

100g 74% dark chocolate (I used ones from Carrefour)
100g plain milk chocolate
120g butter, cut into cubes
3 tbsp cocoa powder
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup all purpose flour (plain flour)

1. Preheat oven to 180 degC.
2. Grease a 8 inch square pan and line with baking paper.
3. In a medium heatproof bowl set over a pan of almost-simmering water, melt the chocolates and butter, stirring occasionally until smooth. Whisk in the cocoa until smooth. Set aside to cool.
4. Whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and sat in a medium bowl until combined. Whisk the warm chocolate mixture into the prepared pan, spread into the corners, and level the surface with a rubber spatula. Bake until slightly puffed and a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean with a small amount of sticky crumbs clinging to it, about 35-40 mins.
5. Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours before cutting.

Comments

  1. *drool* did you keep some for me? I am a chocolate addict too lei
    a definite "perk me up" to chase away monday blues

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment