Eating Alone

What do you eat when you are alone?

I have been thinking long and hard about this question since I picked up All Alone In The Kitchen With An Eggplant. This book is a collection of essays from writers who shares their secret of feeding themselves when they are all alone. Some weird, some decadent, some .... just plain weird.

There was one night when hubby was out and princess went over to my in-law's, I found myself alone at home. And what did I feed myself with? That happens to be whatever that was in the fridge at that time: mashed potatoes and sauteed zucchini. Two of my most favourite foods.

Then there was the other night when I was hungry but there wasn't anybody in the house to cook for, I fed myself a good loaf of bread and hunks of cheddar cheese. I ate half a block of the cheese, I think. Pity I didn't have enough space for the remaining block.

So there, me at my solo eating moments.

If I am to live alone, I don't think I would have bothered to cook very much. But now that I have I read this book, I realised that cooking for yourself is just your way of pampering yourself and telling yourself that you are important enough to go through the hassle of cooking for.

Now, I need to go stock pile those zucchinis and russet potatoes to keep myself happy even when I don't eat alone.

Give me a big bowl of buttery mashed spuds, alot of sauteed zucchini and a bottomless cup of chilled brown rice tea, I will be all set for the evening.

Weird? I think so too.

Comments