Chicken Tonight

As mentioned in my earlier post about the little experiment, I took the plunge last night and started the clock ticking.

My first book of choice for this little experiment is The Best of America's Test Kitchen 2007. I'm sure this came as no surprise that I have chosen a book from my favourite cooking people. I love them! I can't rememeber when I bought this book but probably back in 2007/8 and all I do with it was read it like a novel from page to page without stepping into the kitchen with it. So I hope that this little experiment will change that.

So let's get the ball rolling.


First off, Chicken Salad with Mango, Avocado and Citrus dressing. This simply hit all the right notes with me. We had some leftover chicken from the supposedly BBQ and they blend in wonderfully in the salad. The Citrus and Cilantro Spice Chicken provided the ommph factor to balance the sweetness from the managoes with hint of spices. Instead of the required Italian parsley, I used bright and aromatic Chinese parsley. Easy to put together; I prep and assembled it sitting down the whole while! I should do more dinners like this.

Next up, Chicken Noodle Soup.


Now, don't go squinting your eyes looking for any noodle in my soup. There is none. Yes, that's right. And the reason? Cos I can't find any flat noodles in the supermarket! I don't know how to explain it. No decent flat noodles to be found in a nation where noodles are the next carb of choice? Geez ... Anyway, I improvised and dropped some potatoes into the soup instead. The whole soup looks a bit clinically white cos I ran out of carrots! Sigh ... Although the recipe yields a soup with good chicken flavour, but I feel that going through the process of browning the chicken is quite a pain.

So that's 2 recipes downs and I am still not done making the list of them to try out. So typical of me.

Comments