きじ焼きどん - Chicken Don (ala Rene)


Another experiment from one of my Japanese cookbooks.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what is "きじ", but I must admit that this chicken don taste too yummy for me to be embarassed and not share it. It comes close to tasting like teriyaki chicken, but not quite. Hmm....

Here's how I did it, but please note that I HAVE NOT translated my cookbooks yet, so try at your own risk!

=== きじ焼きどん - Chicken Don (ala Rene) ===

Marinate 2 whole deboned chicken breasts with 2 tbsps of sake, 2 tsps of ginger juice and 2 tbsps of soy sauce. Let it sit for 10 minutes.

In the meanwhile, prepare the たれ (tare) or sweet soy sauce/gravy. Combine 2 tbsps of sugar, 4 tbsps of mirin and 6 tbsps of soy sauce in a bowl.

In a frying pan, heat 1 tbsp cooking oil. Pat dry the chicken breasts and add to the frying pan. Saute until golden brown. Pour the たれ (tare) or sweet soy sauce/gravy over the chicken in the frying pan. Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, 2 minutes.

Serve over 2 bowls of hot rice topped with nori. I'd garnished it with some blanched spinach.

Comments