Hot Cross Buns ala Rene


My sister was in Cape Town over the Good Friday weekend and there, she told me, she had the most wonderful hot cross buns. Big, soft, fluffy, citrusy and spicy. Hmm... Sounds like very delicious hot cross buns to me. So her first message to me when she got home was: "Sis, make hot cross buns!" And I am only too happy to oblige.

I flipped my Joy to recipe the recipe, but when I saw that the backbone of the buns were of the Milk Bread, I was recluctant to try. Then an ideal struck me. I decided to use my Japanese dough recipes instead. So I chose the enriched dough and pile on the dried fruits and spices, but dropped the sugary glaze used to make the cross.

The result - I am not really happy with it. I think I've used too little spices and the bread tasted like any ordinary raisin and citrus bread. (-.-)

On the bright side of things, it was really nice to wake up in the morning to a fresh loaf of bread.

Comments