3 Weeks On ...

In the 3 weeks since I bought those plants, I have been either busy with checking the soil, watering the plants or surfing the net the read up more about those babies sitting in the planter. And everyday, I seem to learn new facts about them and tips on how to care and maintain them. Well, like I always like to say: we learn as we go along.

After observing them for the past weeks, here are just some notes to remind myself.

MINT


* Heavy drinker and likes moist soil.
* Grows fast, hence require agressive pruning.
* It received direct morning sunlight for about 3 hours, and partial shade for the rest of day. This seems to be suit the plant fine, but I realised that the lower leaves tend to turn yellowish or dry out. But this could be due to my initial lack of watering. I am seeing new buds coming out from within.
* It roots easily where the plant touches the soil.

BASIL


* Moderate to heavy drinker. Water when the soil dries out.
* Grows fast, hence require agressive pruning.
* Seems to thrive well in partial direct sun that it is receiving now.

ROSEMARY

* Light to moderate drinker. I tried to water when the soil dries out, but by then the plant looked droopy. Perhaps it is due to the small pot that it is currently in.
* Grows quite fast, but not fast enough to require pruning often. I haven't pruned it since the first time I brought them home.

SAGE

* Moderate to heavy drinker, but maybe due to the small pot size.
* Grows quite fast, but not fast enough to require pruning often. I have snipped of the tops which are flowering in the hopes that it will encourage the stems to be stronger and the plant to be bushier. So far, it works.

CUPHEA


* Moderate to heavy drinker, maybe this is a flowering plant.
* Read that it doesn't do well in direct sunlight. I am seeing alot of yellowish and brownish leaves recently, so I am going to try moving it out of the sun.
* Grows fast and the flowers are always blooming. I have just pruned it for the first time since I brought it home.

Comments