Skillet Chicken and Rice with Peas and Scallions


Mention chicken and rice in a same breathe anywhere in this sunny spot on earth, people will refer you to either the nearest Five Star Hainanese Chicken Rice or Tian Tian Chicken Rice. Though I love a good roasted hainanese chicken rice as much as the next Singaporean, I wasn't prepared to deal with a whole chicken. Not on a weekday. Not by myself.

So instead, I tried out this recipe from America's Test Kitchen Favorites.


I think once a while I would turn into this healthy-conscious-freakish alter ego and will actually read the ingredient list of whatever that goes into the grocery basket. And yesterday was one of these days. I walked happily up the aisle well stocked with all sorts of canned and carton broth. When I was about to dunk a carton of my regular chicken broth into the basket, I just had to read the ingredient list. Shouldn't I be reading it when I first start buying it? Anyway ... I shelved the perfectly packaged carton of chicken broth and walked back to the meat section for chicken bones.

Making chicken stock is actually quite easy, requiring zero attention (other than boiling over resulting in a gas furnace). I washed the chicken bones, drop them into a big pot, throw some onions/carrots/ginger combo into it and fill the pot up with water that covers all the ingredients, then sit down with my princess to watch Oggy and The Cockroaches. After an hour or so, the stock will be ready. Turn off the fire and let it sit. In theory, you are suppose to strain the stock over a fine-mesh strainer and discard the solids. But in practice, it is another matter. Keep any unused stock in the fridge and it stays good for 4 days, max. Beyond that, consume at your own risk. If you want a clearer instructions for making chicken stock, you can find one at Simply Recipes.

The recipe calls for 4 1/2 cups chicken stock, but I will probably reduce it to 4 cups next time. My rice turned out too soft, but perfect for lazy princesses who doesn't want to chew. Other than that, the dish is wonderfully satisfying.

Comments