"Quick Bread": Pancakes



I know. Since I had earlier denounced the use of the term "quick bread" in my earlier post, I really didn't want to use this misnomer. However, I realised that I need to keep this term for several reasons.

Firstly, the term is short and handy. Secondly, most of my books have a separate section entitled "quick bread" and if I start calling these baked goods by any other name, I might have problem tracing the original recipes later on. Thirdly, we time starved creatures like anything that is quick right?

Let's leave this confusing state of affairs to some other days when I can hear myself think.

After two years since I wrote the post about my love-hate relationship with buttermilk, the situation still has not changed much. But I attribute that to my own laziness and lack of organisation.

As you can see, I still love making and eating buttermilk pancakes. I just have to find a way to resolve this. For the sake of the carton of buttermilk sitting in the chiller now.


Maybe I should just take a piece of paper and list down recipes which calls specifically for buttermilk. Of course, buttermilk can be used in place of milk in any baking recipe, except that you will have to add a tinge of baking soda to neutralise the acidity.

Sitting down eating warm pancakes slathered with butter and dripping honey while sipping a mug of hot tea on a Saturday morning at my own dining table is indeed a luxury which I can only afford on a Saturday morning. Regretably, such mornings are far and few in between.

Method of combination: Muffin method
Mess factor: Low
Difficulty level: Ultra easy
Time from start to eat: 15 minutes (+ 15 minutes preferably, let the batter rest for airy texture)
Make in advance: Yes, prepare batter the night before and refrigerate


Buttermilk Pancakes
(from Joy of Cooking '97 ed.)

Ingredients
(Dry)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

(Wet)
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions
Combine the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Cook on hot pan and serve immediately.

Comments