Bento #11 - Utilitarian Bento

Although the concept of bento is every bit Japanese as Mount Fuji, I feel that whilst applying the basic rules of building a bento box, the contents of it is almost anything goes.

Don't eat strictly Japanese? Just pack whatever odds and ends of leftovers sitting in your fridge.

Don't have time for smiley faces on your rice dumplings? Cover them with nori or sprinkle some black sesame on it.

Don't own cute little bento boxes? Any container will do. There are people out there putting a bagel into a used CD spindle. Lunch for techno geeks? But be forewarned that once you start bento-ing, all the boxes and all the accessories will accumulate.

I find that my style of bento-ing thus far, and also my cooking in general, has been that of a utilitarian (ie. aiming for what's useful and practical rather than attractive). Add that with zero creativity, I think I am a bento recipient's nightmare. Despite that, I have to admit that I find bento-ing, or what I think it is, very enjoyable. Not only that I am eating home cooked food, it provides an excuse for me to cook more bento-friendly items which on normal days I would not!

Here's my bento today.


::: Today's bento menu :::

Golden Chicken Dumplings (sans teriyaki sauce)

Breaded pork fillet

Stir fried garlicky baby bai cai (小白菜)

Long bean omlette

Rice balls wrapped with nori (underneath; not visible)

Comments