鶏肉の鍋照り焼き - Chicken Dinner

Back to my Japanese cooking books again. Had some chicken thigh sitting in my fridge to clear. So I made these. They were slightly different from my previous teriyaki-style chicken. Lighter and jucier.

This was how it looked in the sauce pan.

Gave one to my little princess for dinner. I served her dinner in a bento box just to make things more interesting. The major plus points of serving in a bento are that I am able to tell if she is eating enough for dinner (Hubby said that my expectations were too high) and she was able to help me bring her dinner to her table without fear of spillage (cos of the lid). I read from somewhere that for a kid her age, she should be taking about 350 calories per meal. That bento box is about 380ml and if filled to the brim and packed in proportionate amount of carb, protein and veggies, the volume is roughly equal to the amount of calories.

She was so excited to open up the box.

And this is her checking out the contents ...

And as usual, I had to quickly grab my camera cos she was already shoving food into her mouth!

She finished everything in the box! Which had one whole chicken thigh. Yipee! Another dinner success! (^.^)

Think I will call this as another version of teriyaki chicken. Here's the recipe:

*** 鶏肉の鍋照り焼き ***

Marinate 3 deboned chicken thighs (with skin on) with 4 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp of sake, 2 tbsp of mirin and 1 tbsp of ginger juice. Leave to stand for 15 - 20 mins.

In a frying pan, heat 1 tbsp of cooking oil and pan sear the thighs. About 6 mins on each side of the chicken. Add the marinating juices to the cooked chicken and bring to boil. Simmer for about 5 mins or until the sauce thickens slightly.

Serve over hot rice!

Post-edit: Just before I hit the bed, I had a "dang" moment. 照り焼き translates to teriyaki. I could only hazard a guess that it was called 鍋照り焼き here is cos teriyaki could be either made in a pan/pot or grilled.

Comments