Oatmeal Raisin Bread

While rammaging through my pantry the other day, I realised that I still have lots of oats left after making those Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Raisins Cookies. Making more oatmeal cookies was out of the question as I still have lots of them sitting in my freezer. So what to do with these oats?

So I looked up The New Best Recipe's Index. They have oatmeal cookies (no thanks!), oatmeal granolar bars (interesting but not today), hot oatmeal (no thanks), oatmeal sandwich bread (yes! yes!). Took some quick notes of the recipe and tagged it to my fridge. And finally, I got around to making it on Sunday, with help from Hubby and Princess.

The dough was easy to make. No starter, just dump everything in and give a quick knead and let it rise. Although the recipe had called for 15mins kneading by machine, I did it by hand for less than 10mins as I felt the dough was already thoroughly mixed, and not to mention my arms were seriously protesting by then!

The bread came out beautiful and smelled good. I love the smell of bread baking in the oven and every time I would tell myself that I should bake bread more often. The bread had a chewy and slightly dense texture with a hint of sweetness from the small amount of honey. The amount of raisins was generous which made the bread good to eat on its own. If I do make this bread again, I think I ought to give it the full 15mins worth of kneading as called for in the recipe and see if this will result in a lighter bread. (^.^)

Below is the recipe for the bread. I am exploring ways to streamline the recipe for easier reference. Hope it is not too confusing!


Sorry, I didn't have time to take a shot of the bread as I was rushing out for dinner. Hopefully there would be a next time!

Comments