Repetitions - Bread


Finally, I've nailed this down. A bread which I am able to call my own. Or rather a bread whose recipe my overcrowded brain is able to recall without missing an ingredient. At least, not yet.

The original recipe came from the Japanese website and I tweaked it slightly to streamline the process (read: to facilitate laziness or cut corners).

Athough I love my white bread, a little fibre in the bread is always a good thing. So I added a little dash of wholemeal in the dough. Just a little.

So here's my streamlined recipe:

Measure 250g bread flour, 30g wholemeal flour, 60g plain flour, 4g yeast, 4g salt and 30g sugar. Empty into mixing bowl of standing mixer and turn on lower speed to mix evenly.

Measure 270g milk (cold and full cream; straight out from fridge is fine - really!). Pour into mixing bowl. Mix with a dough hook on medium speed.

While the flours are getting hydrated, measure out 30g of butter (+/- 10g; I like more when working with wholemeal flour). Set aside to let it soften.

Check the dough. Usually at this stage, the dough will still be quite wet. Add either wholemeal flour or plain flour a tablespoon at a time. How do I test if the dough is ready? I use a spatula. Tap/Press against the dough, if the spatula pulls away cleanly with very minimal dough sticking to it, the dough is ready for the next step. If not, add another tablespoon of flour. Test again.

When dough is ready, cut the butter into small cubes and add into the mixing bowl. Knead on medium speed until all the butter is incorporated and the dough comes together again (yes, the dough falls apart when butter is initially added).

Scrape down and cover the dough with a cling film. Let rest until double in size. Or until I wake up from my nap.

On a floured working table, briefly knead the dough with your hands and roll into a ball. Cut into 2 or 3 smaller doughs and shape. Please refer to
picture on the Japanese website for shaping of dough. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degC for 20 - 25 min.

Cool completely before cutting.

Repetition is indeed a good thing. And especially so when you work with recipes that you won't mind eating over and over again.

Comments