Sour Cream Sandwich Bread

Since we moved to our new place, my KitchenAid has been sitting idle in the corner of my kitchen waiting for me to pay it some attention.

Recently, I have been reacquainting myself with my old kitchen friends. I dug out the food processor to make Cheez-it-ish Crackers. And now I dusted the KitchenAid and dump flour into it to take this recipe from Dan Lepard’s Short and Sweet.

DSC_0734

And since I haven’t turn out a bread for so long, it is always a good idea to check if the yeast have all but given up on me. I have no intention to turn out another brick and going into another emotional tailspin.

20131007_150951

To test if the yeast are still well and alive, stir the yeast and sugar into a cup a warm water. Let it sit for 5 – 10 minutes.

DSC_0704

These yeast are good to go! I believe I did a little happy dance in the kitchen when I saw these bubbles. Is it normal for an adult to be this happy with bubbles?

No? Okay, I will try to restrain myself next time.

The dough came together pretty quickly in the mixer. After proofing for less than hour, this was what I found. Nicely raised and all ready to roll away.

DSC_0727

After a couple of turns on the rolling board, the dough went into the loaf tin for its final rise.

DSC_0728

And this was what came out of the oven.

DSC_0730

Did I just turn out this golden loaf of bread?

*Happy dancing around the kitchen* (Again!)

DSC_0736

The exterior of the loaf was crunchy and sturdy. But that’s the exterior. The crumb was unbelievably soft and tender. Fluffy even.

Taste wise, the bread has a nice neutral taste. Even bland, according to my princess. No hint of any sweetness from the 2 teaspoons of sugar which is balanced by the tanginess of the sour cream.

All in all, I would say that this is a really easy loaf to put together when you want a simple straightforward loaf. Would I make this again? Definitely!

Don’t take my word for it. Try it yourself!

Next up, I should get reacquainted with my slow cooker.

Comments