Multi-dish dinner from scratch

Ok, here was what was sitting in my fridge last night:
(1) Leftover meat fillings from previous Sichuan wanton dinner;
(2) Fresh tofu;
(3) Chicken breast carcass;
(4) Chicken breast meat;
(5) Eggplants; and
(6) Minced pork.

And the time was 8.45pm. Not wanting to spend the whole night slaving away in the kitchen, I combined as many items together as I possibly could to make a satisfying dinner .

Here's what we ended up having:

Meatball soup with tofu in chicken stock.

Chicken in homemade teriyaki sauce. This is from another Periplus Mini Cookbook entitled Japanese Favourites, which I just acquired a couple of days ago. This was my first time making teriyaki sauce. I had two recipes to choose from. One calls for brown sugar and the other didn't. The above was made without brown sugar and it still tasted good. Will definitely use this recipe next time for BBQs!

Sichuan eggplant with minced pork. Recipe calls for deep frying of eggplant before hand. Omitted this part. Consequence: The eggplant didn't stay whole after cooking. But I suppose that's just a small price to pay for not having to clean up the kitchen after deep frying.

Geez, I can't believe that I actually made all these from scratch (ok, ok ... I added a bit of dashi stock to my chicken stock for a boost in flovour)! Well, we sat down to dinner at 9.30pm, so I suppose the prep was easy enough.

Comments