Ginseng Chicken Soup



After stumbling upon Angie's page and was introduced to Kitchen Capers, I was swamped with lots and lots of recipes that I was searching high and low to find. This online forum was started by this lady, Gina Chong, who is also a contributor to the Kitchen Culture Food and Travel magazine (the one which I took a recipe from for Drunken Prawns). Recipes are shared enthusiastically and cooking tips are given generously. Wonderful site! But however, I have been locked out of the site for a couple of days now, I don't know what's wrong as the site doesn't recognise my UserID. Have to wait patiently for them to rectify it. =/

I tried this recipe from the online forum. Made it with D.O.M. instead of Ginseng Wine. The end result was that the whole soup was ultra rich and also very very sweet (due to the amount of D.O.M. I added!). I had to boil uncovered for quite a long time to rid of the alcohol. In fact, it tasted better on the 3rd day. I will definitely make it again, but this time round, I would go easy on the alcohol.

************************************
Ginseng Chicken Soup
(adapted from Kitchen Capers)

************************************

1 whole chicken

Boiling water for scalding

1 litre of water

20 red dates

2 tbsp wolfberries

4 sprigs of coriander (with roots)

6 ginseng roots

400ml of D.O.M (highly recommend DON'T add so much)

Salt to taste

1. Scald the chicken with boiling water and discard water.

2. Heat up a claypot and put chicken into it. Add the water, red dates, wolfberries, coriander and ginseng roots.

3. Boil for 1 hour. Splash alcohol into soup before serving.