Chilli


Over in this part of the world, we spell chilli with double Ls, but in US, it is one less. There are two definitions for it: (1) very hot and finely tapering pepper of special pungency; or (2) ground beef and chilli peppers or chilli powder often with tomatoes and kidney beans.

Our case in view is, of course, the latter.

I don't quite know why I was attracted to chilli in the first place. Maybe it is the novelty of Mexican cuisine thingy, maybe it is the generous amount of yummy ground beef swimming in a thick spicy gravy. Whatever the reason, my first attempt at making chilli was at least 2 years ago from a recipe found at Allrecipes.com. The resulting dish was absolutely wonderful for a first timer. However, I didn't really like the idea of relying on the El Paso Chili pre-mix as it might (or should I have said certainly) contain MSG. So the search for a chilli recipe which starts from scratch began.

Then last week, I came by this recipe at Allrecipes.com. Though the initial thoughts on it was that this is definitely a very "watery" dish. Well, true enough this dish has lots of gravy for dipping or splashing over rice. It is really a wonderfully aromatic and hearty dish. This is the first time I have used pinto beans and I absolutely love the texture of this bean. This is definitely a keeper!

Comments