Spinach & Gruyere Cheese Strata


I woke up early on one Saturday morning, which is a rare occurance. Deciding not to climb back to bed, I went about making my morning tea. It is always nice to enjoy a cup of tea at home. But I decided to make it even better by waking everyone up with the smell of warm baked eggs.


Not long after I pushed the skillet into the oven, I could hear shuffling feet coming my way. If only someone would make egg for me in the mornings, I will dump Hubby at the drop of a hat and elope with him at once. Until that someone comes along, I guess I will have to make do with Hubby.

Well, I'm not alone. Even Lady Gaga's song tells of how much we love being pampered.

"I'm not loose, I like to party
Let's get lost in your Ferrari
Not psychotic or dramatic
I like boys and that is that
Love it when you call me legs
In the morning buy me eggs
Watch your heart when we're together
Boys like you love me forever"

- Boys Boys Boys by Lady Gaga


If you like quiche, you will like an egg strata. Except that in an egg strata you don't have a fiddly crust to contend with. Instead, leftover bread is added to the mix to give the dish body.

I made this once for our brunch, which I had to weigh the bread down to soak in the egg and milk mixture overnight. But not today.

This strata is made up of bread that has been cubed into smaller pieces to hasten the absorption of the egg and milk mixture. The shortcut recipe can be found here at BakerBites.

Egg stratas can be flavoured with anything that takes your fancy or whatever that is in your fridge.



Sitting down to eat a hearty egg breakfast in the morning is such a bliss.

Comments